Hi there. Wouldn’t you know it, I haven’t written in a while. It’s a thing.
So Happy New Year to you and all that. 2014 has been interesting and different, both for society at large and me at small. I won’t dwell on the societal issues because those bring me down a bit.
In personal terms, 2014 seems to have been good on average. I’ve ended the year in a better place than when I started, so I chalk that up in the win column. But I’ve been severely lacking in my game development and, most importantly, game finishing. So that has to change in the coming year(s).
Over the past several years, I’ve thought a lot (and thought and thought and obsessed and analyzed and over-analyzed and thought) about motivation, positivity, negativity, and creative output. During this time, I’ve collected a lot of quotes and wisdom from various sources and compiled an ever-growing list of motivational quips that I’d like to share. They help me every now and then to keep perspective, and I hope you get something out of them as well.
- Worry is not a talisman against failure. You can’t control everything. You can do everything right and still fail. – Conan O’Brien
- If at first you don’t succeed, that’s one data point – XKCD
- In baseball, if you hit 3 balls out of 10, you’re a star, you’re a Hall-Of-Famer. 3 out of 10. So there’s no shame or disgrace attached to “swing and miss.” You swing and you miss, never mind, try again! – Craig Ferguson
- If you don’t practice being content with where you are right now, you’re not going to be content when you get what you want. Being content is kind of a discipline. – Tony Hale
- Everyone has a plan until life punches you in the face – Tom Lennon
- Self-consciousness is the enemy of creativity – James L. Brooks
- Prove that you suck. Otherwise you’ll spend 50 years preparing, and you’ll still suck. – Dan Harmon
- Do the work. Shut up, sit down, fight the temptation to do other things, to follow your distractions, and just work. Most of us know what we need to do. That’s what’s crazy! I think in any field, any person, what you need to do is usually painfully obvious. We’re all searching for distractions or reading yet another book with yet some more advice. But no, we’ve heard enough advice, we’ve all got enough advice. Really you already know what you need to do – Derek Sivers
- “Whatever you’re meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.” ‘What am I meant to do, Greg?’ Whatever you know in your heart that you’re meant to do. If you’re an artist, do art. If you’re a writer, write. Fulfill your destiny. Don’t fucking wait. There is no time, you guys. There’s no time. In a year, you’ll be 50. In 2 years, you’ll be 70. In 3 years, you’ll be 90. – Greg Proops
- The things you promise yourself you’re going to do, you ought to do. The 2 things you can work on in your life are the management of time and yourself. I would tell myself “knuckle down and write that fucking thing you’re supposed to fucking write and don’t waste time.” Time goes. so. fast. It goes faster than you can possibly imagine. Don’t waste a minute of it. Get in everything you can. The longer you’re around, you realize that 2 or 3 years went by when you were in one mood. And there’s no reason for that, there’s no reason to indulge yourself that much. Get the fuck up, dust yourself off, and get the fuck on with it. I wish I’d known that earlier. That’s the advice I would give myself. – Greg Proops
- Don’t second guess yourself based on speculation because that’s like being imprisoned in your brain and your sentence is fear. – Marc Maron
- You are not in this world to live up to other people’s expectations, nor should you feel the world must live up to yours. – F Perl.
- Be yourself, not your idea of what you think somebody else’s idea of yourself should be. – Henry David Thoreau
- Self loathing is just a big ego in disguise. Don’t compare yourself to others’ careers, because that’s not reality. Ask yourself ‘what would I do if I wasn’t scared?’ Keep quitting until you end up someplace where you don’t want to leave. Some days my work is just slaying the dragon that tells me I’m worthless. – Bobcat Goldthwait
- It’s so hard when you get into your head. The important thing about writing is that you just gotta start writing, because you’ll pre-judge and kill things before they even get out of your head. – Chris Hardwick
- So much of success is your interpretation. It has more to do with your disposition than anything else. I could argue that I’m a great success or a great failure at any point of any project, so it becomes a choice. I think that’s part of the human condition. It’s tough to look back…this forensic thing doesn’t help that much. Decisions were made for the right reasons at the right time. The best thing you could do is just bring your A-game, don’t get in your own way, and just do your thing. Leave the past on the field, do your thing, bust your ass, do things that challenge you, things that scare you, and things that connect to you. Run to that and run away from things that make you cringe. – Jon Favreau
- Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. – Norman Cousins
- The exaggerated esteem in which my lifework is held makes me very ill at ease. I feel compelled to think of myself as an involuntary swindle to have been struck by it. – Albert Einstein
- The solution to impostor syndrome is to accept that you are in fact a fraud and just get on with it. – Ian Bogost
- We sometimes get very invested in and married to a delusion of what our life should be. And there are things that happen in your life that all of a sudden shatters that. And you’re basically given yourself. There’s this heartbreak of some kind that shatters it, whether it’s career-wise or emotional….and you either get bitter, which means you hold onto the delusion with no evidence of it ever happening, or you get fucking human and you realize who you are and do what you need to do. – Marc Maron
- Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. – Samuel Beckett
And with that, here’s to a new trip around the sun filled with prosperity, peace, and progress for us all!